February 18 could have been my last day on this Earth. Actually, it could have been my last night. It was a night of horror. A night of shock. A night of fate, fire, doom and possible death. Exactly one week after celebrating my birthday, I nearly arrived at my death-day.
I thank my God because he rescued my soul. He saved my life. He protected me. Who knows where I would be now, were it not for Him? I would be dead. Maybe I would be in a hospital bed. Intensive Care Unit. I don’t even know. The devil tried to kill me!! My body shivers and my heart throbs when I try to think about it, when I remember the events of that night.
John 10:10 – The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
Just a typical Monday night ended as my most horrific Monday ever. I was once knocked down by a speeding vehicle as a kid in 1997, but the closest to death I have ever come was February 18, 2013. Feeling sleepy and tired, I went to bed in my first floor bedroom at around 10:00pm. I left my uncle downstairs, where he usually sleeps. I had had a long day and so I needed some rest. I even couldn’t manage to wait for the FA Cup tie between Manchester United and Reading that was to kick off at 10:45.
As I drifted away and got lost in my sleep, I thought I heard somebody shouting, ”Moto! Moto! Saidia! Wooi! Saidieni!” Was I dreaming? No, I wasn’t! The house was on fire! I jumped out of bed totally confused. I made for the door and when I opened it, I was hit by a cloud of dark smoke. I tried to run down the stairs but the smoke coming from down there was too much to risk. I saw bright flames licking the floor and walls. The heat was also too much to bear. ”My God, I’m dying today!,” I said to myself. I rushed back to the bedroom. All this happened in less than 5 seconds.
My mind raced with wild thoughts. What to do? I thought of jumping out of the window, and that’s what I had to do. There was no other way out. LUCKILY, the window didn’t have burglar proof metal grills. If you’re living in a house with those grills on the window, you should seriously think about your safety in case of an emergency. I clenched my fist and smashed the window panes breaking the glass after two blows. My hand, elbow, fist and arm started bleeding from the glass cuts and bruises. By now the room was full of smoke.
I squeezed myself out of the tiny window and jumped a whole floor down. LUCKILY, I didn’t land on a piece of broken glass. It could have been worse. Luckily, I had not completely fallen asleep when the fire started. It could have been a disaster. Luckily, somebody startled me by shouting from outside. I could have been choked, suffocated or even burnt to death.Luckily, I went to bed in trousers and a T-shirt that night, I wont be sleeping naked again.
When I stood up after the leap, I could not walk normally. I had sprained my right foot. I could neither stand nor step on my left foot. By now, neighbors and people from outside had come. It took them around 20 minutes to put out the inferno before it blew out of control. However, nothing in the living room could he salvaged. Everything had burnt down to ashes.
Where was my uncle? What had caused the fire? Was it an accident or arson? Only God knows. Somehow, he had managed to get out safely. Apparently, he had been smoking and probably dropped a burning cigarette or match stick on his bedding.
Thank God I am alive!!